CEPH DrPH Learning Objectives
Profession & Science of Public Health
- Explain public health history, philosophy and values
- Identify the core functions of public health and the 10 Essential Services
- Explain the role of quantitative and qualitative methods and sciences in describing and assessing a population’s health
- List major causes and trends of morbidity and mortality in the US or other community relevant to the school or program
- Discuss the science of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention in population health, including health promotion, screening, etc.
- Explain the critical importance of evidence in advancing public health knowledge
Factors Related to Human Health
- Explain effects of environmental factors on a population’s health
- Explain biological and genetic factors that affect a population’s health
- Explain behavioral and psychological factors that affect a population’s health
- Explain the social, political and economic determinants of health and how they contribute to population health and health inequities
- Explain how globalization affects global burdens of disease
- Explain an ecological perspective on the connections among human health, animal health and ecosystem health (eg, One Health)
CEPH DrPH Competencies
Data & Analysis
- Explain qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods and policy analysis research and evaluation methods to address health issues at multiple (individual, group, organization, community and population) levels
- Design a qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods, policy analysis or evaluation project to address a public health issue
- Explain the use and limitations of surveillance systems and national surveys in assessing, monitoring and evaluating policies and programs and to address a population’s health
Leadership, Management & Governance
- Propose strategies for health improvement and elimination of health inequities by organizing stakeholders, including researchers, practitioners, community leaders and other partners
- Communicate public health science to diverse stakeholders, including individuals at all levels of health literacy, for purposes of influencing behavior and policies
- Integrate knowledge, approaches, methods, values and potential contributions from multiple professions and systems in addressing public health problems
- Create a strategic plan
- Facilitate shared decision making through negotiation and consensus-building methods
- Create organizational change strategies
- Propose strategies to promote inclusion and equity within public health programs, policies and systems
- Assess one’s own strengths and weaknesses in leadership capacities including cultural proficiency
- Propose human, fiscal and other resources to achieve a strategic goal
- Cultivate new resources and revenue streams to achieve a strategic goal
Policy & Programs
- Design a system-level intervention to address a public health issue
- Integrate knowledge of cultural values and practices in the design of public health policies and programs
- Integrate scientific information, legal and regulatory approaches, ethical frameworks and varied stakeholder interests in policy development and analysis
- Propose interprofessional team approaches to improving public health
Education & Workforce Development
- Assess an audience’s knowledge and learning needs
- Deliver training or educational experiences that promote learning in academic, organizational or community settings
- Use best practice modalities in pedagogical practices
- Interpret analytic methods used in the public health and biomedical journals, as well as critique published reports of public health and biomedical experiments as to the validity of the inferential conclusions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in statistical software such as SAS or R to handle complex public health and biomedical data analysis problems.
- Develop new biostatistical methods and new ideas for applying existing biostatistical methods to applications in public health and the biomedical sciences.
- Demonstrate the ability to flexibly apply prior information to solve a wide range of public health biomedical problems using Bayesian Analysis.
- Demonstrate the comprehension of the underlying statistical theory that supports the biostatistical methodology.
Community Health Behavior and Education Competencies
- Analyze theories, concepts and models from a range of social and behavioral disciplines in public health research and practice.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with communities, stakeholders, policy makers, and other relevant groups.
- Assess and argue cultural, environmental, and social justice influences on the health of communities.
- Adapt evidence-based public health programs and research to address geographic disparities.
- Facilitate debate and discussion, with diverse groups in and outside of the traditional classroom setting that ensure inclusion of ideas and resolution of challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify deficiencies in scientific knowledge or public health practice using existing sources of epidemiologic data.
- Construct a public health and epidemiologic research question from ideas, conditions, or events using critical thinking skills.
- Utilize advanced epidemiologic research methods to inform public health action.
- Select appropriate statistical tools and methodology to analyze and summarize epidemiological data.
- Disseminate information based on advanced epidemiologic studies to lay or professional audiences.
Public Health Leadership Competencies
- Apply leadership skills for building partnerships in public health.
- Evaluate how systems thinking can contribute to solving public health organizational issues and problems.
- Analyze the policy development, assessment, evaluation process, and legal environment for improving the health status of populations.
- Evaluate the process for strategic planning and marketing for public health through analysis of quality, cost benefit, and performance improvement concepts.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage of programs within budget constraints through resource allocation, financing, and evaluation.
Last updated: 3/28/2019