Vision, Mission, Values & Goals
The JPHCOPH will be the nationally recognized leader in the empowerment of rural communities and underserved populations to address public health issues, eliminate health disparities and improve health outcomes.
The mission of the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health (JPHCOPH) is to improve health, eliminate health disparities and health inequities of rural communities and underserved populations globally through excellence in teaching, public health workforce development, research, scholarship, professional service and community engagement.
Our Shared Values
The Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health is endowed by Dr. Karl E. Peace as a tribute to his wife and an enduring celebration of her life characterized by ‘a zeal for excellence, consideration of others, intelligence and scholarship, honesty, kindness and humility.’ In honor of Dr. Hsu, the faculty, students and staff of the JPHCOPH commit to demonstrate these values in our behavior toward one another and to those that we serve.
In 2007 the JPHCOPH Students, Faculty and Staff worked together to clarify the following list of shared core values. These values serve to guide decision making for our workforce development, research, professional service and community engagement activities.
We will also use these values to help us in choosing the right path.
- Excellence in research, service and instruction.
- Passion for improving the health of rural communities and underserved populations.
- Responsibility for promoting health equity and eliminating health disparities in rural communities and underserved populations.
- Commitment to community involvement.
- Collaboration for problem solving.
- Commitment to developing as a “Learning Organization.”
- Provide five exceptional competency-based MPH degree programs in the core areas of public health that will ensure our graduates attain and demonstrate competencies that will contribute to the mission of JPHCOPH during their academic programs and throughout their careers.
- Provide three exceptional competency-based DrPH programs (in the areas of Public Health Leadership, Biostatistics, and Community Health Behavior and Education) that graduate leaders of the public health workforce who contribute to the mission of JPHCOPH during their academic training and throughout their careers.
- Provide a competency-based BSPH degree program that will ensure our graduates attain and demonstrate competencies that will contribute to the mission of the JPHCOPH during their academic programs and throughout their careers.
- Ensure all of our graduates develop skills for lifelong learning critical thinking, collaboration and visionary public health leadership.
- Expand our DrPH programs to include concentrations in Epidemiology, Environmental Health or perhaps a PhD program within five years.
- Foster excellence in applied public health-related research that enhances the knowledge, processes, best practices and values to improve health in communities and eliminate health disparities and improve health of the rural and underserved populations of the state and region.
- Facilitate public health-related community outreach, service learning, use of best practices, continuing education for workforce development and community service to improve health for all and eliminate health disparities and improve the health of rural and underserved populations of the state and region,.
- Facilitate faculty and student involvement in national service activities and professional leadership roles to enhance public health.
- Continually enhance our sustainable college of public health with an emphasis in ongoing assessment and quality improvement processes.
Last updated: 5/18/2019